Re: Pt/Pd printing with various lights

Sandy King wrote:
> > I think it is incorrect to describe the reduction in density that I
> > reported as solarization.
> Judy Seigel wrote:
> What is the tipping point -- from "difference" to "gross reversal"? And
> if it isn't "solarization", what is it?

I think what makes this questionable as to being typical solarization is
that a true reversal is not obtained.  No proportional density change
results in even a partial negative (positive being the normal print),
and further increased exposure does not cause further nor complete
reversal.  So while this effect might be referred to as solarization by
some, it behaves quite differently.

This effect may very well be a unique type of solarization, but it could
be stretching the definition a bit to just call it solarization.

It also seems that this so called "solarization" differs with chemical
changes (including the paper) and the coating environment.  In some
situations only a little over exposure will lighten the dark values,
while in other situations several times the exposure will not produce
any lightening of dark values.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/