Re: Solubility of various Pt salts

Jeffrey,
  Yes, this certainly seems like an error. The data I posted is taken from the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 67th edition. I just rechecked it.

On Thu, 16 May 2002 07:52:55 -0400 "Jeffrey D. Mathias" <jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net> wrote:

Linas Kudzma wrote:
> Here is some useful solubility data for various Pt+2 and Pt+4 salts.
>                       Solubility in 100ml H2O
> Compound      cold water / hot water
> K2PtCl4              0.9 g / 5.3 g

I am sorry, but I have to question your source of this information and
the validity of it.  K2PtCl4 has been used for platinum printing for
over one hundred years.  It can readily be mixed to strengths of almost
20% at room temperature with stronger solutions requiring warming.  17
or 18 grams can certainly be put into solution with 100ml H2O at room
temperature (by repeated observation).

The values you present (0.9/ 5.3) are way off.  So I cannot help
question the other values as well.

(Check out the following site for mixing solutions:)
http://www.utmem.edu/allied/Solutions/Home.html

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/