Re: Correction Re: Albumen toning questions

Judy Seigel wrote:

>On second thought, I think the toning before fixing may not apply to
>albumen printing -- maybe only POP.... Though on 3rd thought, as I recall
>kallitype can be toned either before or after...
>
>Thanks in advance for fact and/or opinion.
>
>J.

I tone both kallitype and vandyke before fixing. With the formula
that I use (In one liter, 5g of citric acid plus either 5ml of
Potassium chloroplatinite #3 or 25ml of 1% gold chloride)  there is a
much more dramatic change in color when toning is done before fixing.
I tend to believe this indicates that the toning action, in which the
silver metal is coated with gold and/or platinum, is more complete
when the toning is done before fixing. I did some limited work with
home-made POP last year and my observations were the same, i.e.
toning before fixing gives a much greater change in color than toning
after fixing. However, POP appears to require quite a bit more
solution to get a color change, perhaps because of the gelatin
emulsion.

Sandy King