From: Eric Nelson [mailto:emanmb@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 16:49
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Re: Albumen toning questions

> 2. I thought there would probably be other toners to
> try besides gold...
> but they aren't mentioned.  How about selenium?
> Polytoner?
>
> 3. He's been toning AFTER fixing. Is the color
> different if you tone
> before fixing?
>
> 4. How do you decide whether to tone before or after
> fixing?  Some people
> do one, some the other. Why?

I've only done the "before" method for
"achivalosity"/not knowing any better.  There is a
formula in Reilly's book for toning w/platinum which
goes to a chocolat brown rather than the purplish
browns of gold.
Also a great web
resource--->http://albumen.stanford.edu/

My experience w/selenium and albumen is to start w/ a
weak solution as the one time I tried that I used a
conventional silver gelatin dilution and the results
were green and yellow looking.

Eric Nelson
Chicago