bpf 18 film from Bergger--gotta try it

     I posted a question a while back about this film to the list about what
ISO to rate this film at and what development.  It is a continuous tone
ortho film, available in sheets of 8 x 10.  It costs $99 a box of 50.  I got
it directly from Bergger here in the states (815-282-9876).  Since I didn't
get a reply (and John Horowy didn't even know the ISO of the film :)) I
tested it in Howard Efner's 4x10 pinhole camera and here are my results:
     The film is quite heavy duty--thick base.  It feels similar to Kodak S0
132 in thickness.
     It is a cinch to use because of its red light safety.
     I developed it in Dektol 1:10/2.5 mn as I do lith film and exposed it
as I do lith film with an ISO of 6 and that is way too dense of an exposure,
and 1:10 is way too underdeveloped.  I did a lith neg at the same time for a
comparison variable.  Even in 1:10 dektol lith is quite contrasty.
     Then I did an ISO of 25 and 50 and developed in Dektol 1:1 for 2
minutes and it worked great. I chose this way because it is how I treat
SO132 film.  I will also try it in pyro to see if there are benefits to
developing it the normal way.
     I have not tried it under the enlarger but apparently it works great
that way, too, according to the scanty literature in the box.
     Since I have to cut an 8x10 film sheet in half, and doing so in total
darkness might be tricky, it really is a perfect film for this use.  I hope
this is what others on the list have found if they use this film, too.  If
not, let me know.  I know Photo Warehouse also cuts film in odd sizes, but
you can't develop that stuff under safelight.
     Another tip for those of you who are not quilters--two great tools to
use for cutting film are the Olfa rotary cutter and the plastic gridded
seethru 6 wide by 24 long rulers you get at a sewing store.  They are great
for cutting prints squarely. You do have to have a self sealing matt to cut
upon, too, also available at a sewing store, as the Olfa cutter is seriously
sharp. The Olfa will also cut thru toes so don't drop it on bare feet
(sounds stupid, but quilters have done that).  I put white tape on my ruler
to show exact places to cut.
    Well, hubby comes back tonight from a month long trek in
Borneo/Indonesia/Bali so I will not be maniacally testing as I have been for
the last month.  I do have a life other than the darkroom!  Of course, I'm
making him go out and pinhole with me this week once he gets used to the 14
hr time change....
Chris