Re : Autochrome info request

Title: Re : Autochrome info request
>De : Jonathan Bailey <quryhous@midcoast.com>
>À : alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Objet : RE: Autochrome info request
>Date : Mer 29 mai 2002 17:14

> Is Jean-Paul Gandolfo still on this list??  He's in Paris teaching at The
> Ecole Nationale de al Photographie

Hello Jonathan
I am still there listening - from time to time -  to t he excellent topics avaliable on the list. Thank's again for the infos about orotone process you gave me last year.

The paper quoted below gives many informations about autochrome
technology.

Gandolfo JP, Lavedrine B, The autochrome process. from concept to prototype, History of Photography, 1994 summer, volume 18, number 2, p 120-128. In spite of the year he was publised, it's still up to date ....

History of Photography is a britih periodical. This ssue i s devoted to history of colour photography (early colour and
the autochrome).
The editor is : Taylor & Francis,School of Artr History, University of saint
Andrews, Saint Andrews, KY 16 9 AD, Scotland.
Editor e-mail : gs2@st-andrews.ac.uk
I think  list people could find this issue in a good public library.
We are still working about the process with my friend Bertrand Lavedrine). Next year,
we hope to publish a book about autochrome history to celebrate the
c entenary of the process (1903 december, first french patent of Lumiere brothers). An exhibition will be held in the Albert Kahn
museum, a french collection, based west Paris,  with something like 72 000 autochrome plates
showing circa 40 countries all over the world (I spent seventeen years
managing the photographic lab of the museum). Some papers, from the Lumiere
factory, writen by Louis Lumiere will be publish at this time.
We have made some modern (and alternative) tricolor screens used to produce color plates with
an assembly method (black & white ilford FP4 + reversal developed, exposed
behind the screen, removed, developed and registered again with our screen).
The result was't as good compared with the original plate but at this time
we haven't restored the last original Lumiere crushing machine still surviving.

I think the bigger problems to solve are  connected with the fact that it's an industrial process. The
autochrome pla tes were produced between 1907 and 1932 (circa), at this time,
the "do it yourself your process" is an old feeling belonging to the former century.
We obtain good results in recreating the dye formulas (six dyes to give
violet, green and orange color) and the varnishes. The crushing of potatoe
starches will be more accurate with the machine we have restored. The
panchromatic emulsion is also a serious problem. I think Martin Reed (London, Silverprint) has some ideas about this manufacturing step.

 We hope to restart a new test this
year. But, to recreate the original process is an hard  job - or a long way -and to my
knowledge, the Lumiere process is still waiting a modern revival ...

I hope to cross the ocean next year for the 2003 APIS meeting. Perhaps an opportunity to met some of you and to talk about autochrome.

Best

--
Jean-Paul GANDOLFO
French National School of Photography Louis Lumiere BP 22

Tel : 01 48 15 40 20
e-mail : jpgalt@infonie.fr