Re: plain hypo for fixing film?

on 5/30/02 5:57 PM, Shannon Stoney at shannonstoney@earthlink.net wrote:

> I have some plain hypo crystals that I want to use to fix films. I have
> always used Ilford liquid rapid fixer up to this point.  What kind of
> solution should I make with plain hypo to fix film?  Is the fixing time the
> same (5 minutes has been my time)?
>
> --shannon

Hypo crystal is sodium thiosulfate good for printing should be used in many
alt-process.
the solution depends on the process used.
It is not the best for film used alone. You should use a Acid Hypo by adding
sodium Bisulfite or Potassium Metabisulfite.

exp

water 2 liters
Sodium thiosulfate  ( hypo) 480 grams
Sodium bisulfite  45 grams

8 to 10 minutes
it has a little harding action

I use hypo a lot but for exp vandyke
for film I use a fixer like th Ilford easy cheap more harding for my film
JIm