Re: Salt prints

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 10/03/02-09:27:46 AM Z

Patricia Reed wrote:

>I'm very interested in doing salt prints.
>Some literature I have states salt images are not permanent.
>Just how permanent are they and is it possible to make them last?

I have seen some salt prints from the 19th century in pristine
condition. Others have suffered severe fading. From this I think we
can say that salt prints can be fairly permanent, but that good
processing and good storage are very important.

Most people would agree that all prints that are made up of brown
silver, and this includes albumen, POP, and kallitype as well as
salted paper, should be toned for maximum permanence. In addition to
making the print more archival toning is also useful in providing a
wider range of image colors.

Sandy King