Re: Salt prints

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 10/03/02-08:51:08 PM Z

Patricia,

The very first salt print made by Fox Talbot is still in existence. I do not
remember what museum in England has it. The key to salt print permanence is
toning after the image is processed. Proper fixing and washing is the, like
all photo processes is essential.

Another thing that one should be aware of is a good deal of the literature
out there states something like "Any paper suitable for water color is great
for salted paper". This, my Dear Watson, is pure balderdash. If the is
paper unstable, has a high acid content or is simply an inferior grade of
paper, you will have image stability problems. I have seen salted paper
images that were in horrid condition. People were saying the image was
fading, but the image was actually being eaten by the acid in the paper.

Go make some salted paper prints. Do it right and the images should last 150
years.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ