Re: Condit registration pins

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 10/05/02-05:05:06 PM Z

On Friday, 2002 Oct 04 John Cremati wrote:

==some deleted: snip%<

> Condit had two style of pins that I am aware of one very small and
> then a larger one...I have the thickness dimension some where ,
> unfortunately I do not even know where to begin to look...If I do find
> it I will post the info......John Cremati

John etal. - thanks for the replies. I have Condit equipment both
kinds of pins. The larger pins, which I think Condit called "Matrix
Pins" were used on thier vacuum easels. The much smaller pins were
for use with Condit's contact printing frames, platens and enlarger
carriers. If you should come across specifications for the small pins
I'd be grateful if you passed them on (esp. hole size and depth).

Also, for anyone who is interested in buying used Condit equipment
here's a bit of advice for matching your pins to your punches (the
small film pins). Since I now own 7 or 8 Condit punches from 2
different sources w/an assortment of glass platens and carriers I was
concerned about matching the pins mounted in glass to the punches. It
couldn't be easier (I had always thought this was an operation that
had to be performed by the Condit folks). The pins are anchored in
the glass with Sealing Wax. The pins are mounted off center on their
base so when they are turned they move around the center of the
base. To match my pins to my punch I just make a template in a thin
piece of aluminum stock with my punch. I then warm the pins (mounted in
glass) with a soldering gun and put the template over them. When wax
has solidified the pins are perfectly positioned for my punch.

Best -greg schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>

"The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is
itself a political attitude."

                        "Why I Write"
                        George Orwell, 1946