RE: "sophisticated art snot"

From: Marcie Greer (tea.dye@verizon.net)
Date: 10/07/02-08:14:46 AM Z

I thought the article was sort of funny but it would have been funnier
if it had addressed the issue from a point of true understanding rather
than the same tired old diatribe. No one says we *have* to believe in
the merits of certain works and a real live critique with some razor wit
would have served his purpose better. As it reads I don't get much of a
sense of why he thought the art was crap... as art... and why we should
take his word for it. In many ways his review had no more content than
the art he was panning... two craps don't make a right? (But you can
hang it on a wall and sell it to someone).

Speaking of crap, NEA grants have always been doodoo. They have
historically gone to those who don't need them or to children's "art"
ventures. The WPA did more to forward art in the US than the NEA ever
has.

Marcie