RE: Problem with cyanotype

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 10/12/02-07:49:43 PM Z

Richard,

What do your chemicals look like - like they did when you bought them? And
are they old; did they work OK before? If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go
for the ferricyanide being off. With long exposure to air, it starts to
look dirty. Badly affected, it goes green on the surface, but with less
exposure the orange crystals just lose some of their brilliance. The usual
problem with f.a. citrate (if you have it as the very fine powder) is
absorption of atmospheric moisure, turning it sticky at first and eventually
into a solid lump. Apart from that, I don't believe it's greatly affected
by oxygen (though I could be wrong).

But if you're getting blue on mixing the solutions, I'd also say there's a
good chance of contamination. Could either of your bottles have been less
than perfectly clean? Another possibility: rust. Rust (from, e.g., a
corroded spoon) will instantly form blue in a ferricyanide solution, but if
in with the f.a. citrate, not until the two are mixed.

Liam