RE: Book(s) query

From: Kris Erickson (kerickso@ryerson.ca)
Date: 10/24/02-08:53:24 AM Z

Hmmm
To make things difficult, some of the best books may be about something
entirely different; hence to search to find them out by subject or related
fields may prove fruitless or exhausting.
Case in point: The First Six Lessons in Acting, by Richard Boleslavski.
Truly inspirational, especially for people who intend to meaningfully
photograph people (or for those who intend to teach people how to
meaningfully photograph people--or both).
I would say that the writings of Sommer and R. Bruce Elder (an experimental
filmmaker and film-historian/theorist) and for that matter any other
practising artist who also holds a teaching position would also be
invaluable. A first-hand teacher-student dialogue (between Dave Heath and
Chris Buck) is available at
http://www.photographerinterviews.com/2001/heath/
More specifically, Alberto Manguel's "Reading Pictures" also seems
promising. The chapter on Tina Modotti (subtitled "the image as witness") is
an interesting train of thought.

kris