Re: films for scanning

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 10/25/02-10:46:38 PM Z

In my experience I've not seen any hazard scanning any particular film. When
one scans color negative film, the conversion to positive can be fraught
with crossover. Good software such as SilverFast and the properly chosen
conversion profile solves such problems.
  Since Kodak has delivered us a particular film and says it is better for
scanning, they must mean it. They were the first to provide us with a true
digital camera and you will remember their CD scans etc. So, I believe they
know something. However, much of color is printed automatically and they
might have designed films for this overall process.
  My recent work employs Fuji 1600 ISO scanned and enlarged up to 4' x 6'
and the resolution from the 35 mm color neg film and my Pentax zoom lens is
astounding . . simply astounding.
  Other recent endeavors have used Kodachrome 25, Digital Video single
frames and some Kodak chromes. The scanner used is the Polaroid 2700 and
4000 dpi models.
  Jack