Re: Salted Paper

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 08/31/02-10:51:13 PM Z

Joe,

>Although, his problems happened during processing. I want to
>lean towards paper in this case. But your papers are all good and I have
>done well with all of them.

I think it can not be the papers since I have tried quite a number of
papers that are recommended by other salt printers and they all show
the stain. I and beginning to think that the problem is in the
salting emulsion, and must be either the sodium citrate or the
ammonium chloride, or the two in combination. For my next tests I am
going to switch to sodium chloride and leave out the sodium citrate.

>I have relatives in your neck of the woods and they have been telling me
>that it has been hotter and wetter than usual. How hot and muggy is it in
>your work room? High heat (90+) and high humdity can play havoc with salted
>paper. The heat and humdity can speed up reaction time enough that it will
>"age" the paper right in front of your eyes. There are some other variables
>or pollutants like sulfer dioxide in the air or sulfer compounds in the
>paper that can screw things up,

It has been pretty warm and humid here in SC over the past several
weeks, but I never know this when inside my house because we are air
conditioned 100% of the time, and the conditions are a constant 70F
and 55-60% relative humidity.

>Is the fog smooth or do you have blotches of higher density in some areas?

Usually very smooth.

Sandy