box/frame

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/01/02-08:31:59 AM Z

Speaking of how words are used, when photographers say "frame" they're
almost never talking about a rectangular piece of wood or metal. The term
generally means the edge of the picture area, as in "should I do a tightly
framed head shot, or a wider view with some environment" or "do I want to
frame a lot of sky or a lot of foreground". Or, "always pay attention to
shapes formed by negative space at the edge of the frame." It's sometimes
used to mean individual pictures on a roll, as in "how many frames did you
get before the race car hit the wall?"

In this sense, the notion that the picture frame, the in-camera cropping,
forms a metaphorical box is both sensible and commonplace. When a
photographer talks about "the frame" the last thing that comes to my mind is
the thing that holds the picture wire.--Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: