RE: Art vrs. Porno etc.

From: Marcie Greer (tea.dye@verizon.net)
Date: 09/03/02-03:29:17 PM Z

As a painter who has had her nudes removed from display as
"pornography", I can tell you that exploration of sensuality from the
feminine point of view is no more accepted than nudes of women made by
men. Despite the fact that my subjects were mostly classical (Jupiter
and Io: lovely pink nude floating in ecstasy in the clouds with
rainbows!) (also was a watercolor) it was still ripped off the wall,
ornate gilt frame and all. Ice-cold women posing are one thing but head
thrown back, eyes closed, mouth open, toes curled (viz. St. Theresa)
seems to be just too much for some folks. The nude is in many way the
timeless and universal expression of the human condition regardless of
the sensual content. Once the clothes are on it's pegged in time and
space, an artifact of a particular situation.

Marcie