The value of kits -- to beginners

From: Marco Milazzo (mmilazz1@elp.rr.com)
Date: 09/04/02-09:33:21 AM Z

Someone sent a message to this list last month asking where to purchase
cyanotype and VDB kits, and was told (among other things) that it's better
to mix chemistry "from scratch."

That's true for printers with experience, but I want to put in a word for
kits -- for beginners (of which I am one).

Mixing chemistry is stressful for beginners. You obsess over every detail,
hoping that you haven't made a small mistake that will screw up the whole
batch. Kits allow you to bypass the uncertainties of mixing chemistry, and
go directly to (the uncertainties of) coating paper and making an image --
the "fun part" of the process. Experiencing success early encourages you,
and carries you on to the next steps.

 Another advantage of kits is that they allow you to try a process without
buying a lot of stuff. After you've made a couple of dozen test prints, you
may want to commit to that process, and buy chemistry -- or you might decide
that alternative printing isn't for you. Either way, kits are an
appropriate first step for beginners.

Marco