RE: The value of kits -- to beginners

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/05/02-01:50:56 PM Z

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Martin Reis wrote:

> Marco,
>
> Although buying your own chemicals is ultimately the best/cheaper
> way to go, and, above all, allows you the greatest experimental
> freedom, a kit to start out is not a bad idea. I mixed my first
> cyanotype formulas by hand without a fancy scale and still got decent
> results. I think whatever is comfortable for you is a good way to go.
>
> Martin Reis

OK, here's my argument against "kits" -- the ones I'm familiar with (for
gum) came with instructions that were pretty wrong or very wrong, colors
of brown & black for one kit, "process colors" for the other, and
represented overall a drastic reduction of the reality & possibilities.
True, if all went well one could go on from there, but I think would be at
least as likely to toss it.

And going on from there would also require unlearning (in many cases) as
well as the other hurdles of scales, chemicals, etc. The cost for 100 g
potassium dichromate at Artcraft is $6, most people could get a squib or
two of watercolor paint free if they don't already have a few tubes -- and
gum arabic is available -- what, maybe $12 a pint at art supply stores. ?
In other words, they could get several years materials (except the paint)
for less than $20. My sense of the matter is that with ample supplies on
hand, it's easier, maybe INEVITABLE, to try some more and then maybe
again, if at first it doesn't "succeed."

The kit, last I saw, was about $16 .

Incidentally, although I myself feel unhorsed, so to speak, without my
triple beam balance, both cyanotype and gum are readily mixed with dry
measure -- teaspoons, narrow vials, a hole drilled in a piece of wood, ml
measures in scoops in small volumes sold by American Scientific Surplus,
among other strategies.

Judy