RE: mordancage and dye mordanting

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 09/10/02-06:32:58 AM Z

Chris -

-----------------
> > Does the etching process leave some gelatin on the paper, or is this or
> the
> > other process actually used to lift the gelatin from the
> surface so it can
> be
> > transferred to another substrate like water color paper.... similar to
> what
> > is done with Polaroid's????

May I interject...? With large areas of black, the emulsion can - and, in
my experience often does - lift in solid sheets. (This is Elizabeth
Opalenik's signature technique.) The emulsion is very delicate and fragile,
but it can be arranged and moved, not unlike a Polaroid "lift." Of course,
washing the print becomes difficult if not impossible.... but then this
allows for more exotic color changes later on through oxidation.

Hope this helps....