Re: Gum bichromate and photographing the nude, was Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/10/02-04:54:22 AM Z

Sandy King wrote:

> What with discussions on on shooting and eating geese the "Calendar
> Artist" thread appears to have gotten a bit off-topic.
>
> Let's get back to discussing something really relevant, like "can the
> male/female photographer who shoots nudes only as a pretense for
> looking at naked women/men really be satisfied with the grainy look
> and limited detail of the gum bichromate process"?

Sandy.......?

I've been away for a couple of days, and when I have a backlog I always
start with the newest messages and work backwards, the idea being that
if I don't have time to read the whole backlog, at least I'm up to date.
It sounds like the discussion has gone south with the geese and I'll
delete the rest without bothering to read any of it.

While I can see that this was a tongue in cheek list of hot buttons not
meant to be answered seriously, I think maybe you've inadvertently hit
on a common "enemy" we can unite against, the idea that gum is
necessarily coarse and can't show fine detail. Most modern day gum
printers know that there's no truth to it, and it seems like maybe the
platinum printers are finally catching up with us on their perceptions
of what gum is capable of. Gum, of course, can do about anything a
person wants to do with it. Coarse, grainy gum prints can be achieved by
using a heavily pigmented mix and a heavily textured paper, if a person
wants that kind of look, but many if not most modern gum printers are
printing very differently from that, smoother and more photographic. So,
on this one I don't think you're going to get a lot of agreement any
more, at least I hope not.
kt