Re: Gum bichromate and photographing the nude, was Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 09/10/02-02:22:47 PM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

>Sandy King wrote:
>>

>> Indeed. Stuart Melvin's prints do show a lot of detail. But does not
>> the appearance of detail come from the first platinum layer? For
>> example, if you compare three-color gum prints made with cyan,
>> magenta and yellow gum layers the appearance of sharpness is much
>> less than when you use a cyanotype for the blue record instead of gum.
>

>Your post arrived just after I pushed the send button on mine; if I'd
>got yours first I wouldn't have sent mine. I really thought that your
>post wasn't serious and that we could at last agree on something and
>move on, but I guess I got it wrong, and now I'm in an argument I don't
>want to be in.

Well, my original post was certainly tongue in cheek, as was my reply
to Kerik, at least *in part*, so I don't plan to be in an argument
with anyone on this issue. However, of the full color gum prints I
have seen those made with a cyanotype first layer have greater
apparent sharpness than those made using just gum layers. And I have
seen quite a number of color gum prints, both vintage work done at
the beginning of the century as well as prints made by contemporary
workers. Granted that there is some subjectivity in what constitutes
apparent sharpness, and one may not desire it in any event, but I am
satisfied that my observations are not entirely at odds with reality.

Sandy King