Re: Achieving detail with gum

From: Cactus Cowboy (cactus@tritel.net)
Date: 09/12/02-07:15:10 PM Z

Very interesting. Thanks for providing the links Keith.

Printing on aluminum obviously offers a real advantage in that reregistering
the negative to the aluminum is 'dead on' accurate, since aluminum is far
more dimensionally stable than paper.

My biggest challenge (printing onto paper) is accurate reregistration of the
negative to paper. I initially used the 'register by eye and tape it'
approach, but results were poor. Using pin registration, quality was much
improved. I also manipulate the paper (by moistening it or drying it
slightly) to alter/adjust its dimensions as relative humidity fluctuates.
If done properly, it is possible to record fine detail in multiple coat gum
prints. I've seen some really muddy and unsharp gum prints, so I understand
why gum is often considered incapable of capturing detail. IMO, the skill
of the printer is the key factor.

I agree with your advice to "make the prints big!" I've exhibited 16x20 gum
prints and have received comments such as, "It's so sharp", and "Wow, look
at all the detail." You can fit a lot more detail into a 16x20 print than
you can an 8x10. Your "teddy" photos are a good example.

Contrast will appreciably affect apparent sharpness. IMO, that's the
primary reason that higher contrast cyanotype/gum prints are perceived to be
sharper than straight gum prints.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy