RE: Van Dyke Problem

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/16/02-06:18:43 PM Z

George,

Just done a couple more prints using the old and the new Platine: both are
fine! However, this time I varied my coating technique as follows: After
the first coat, paper was left approx. 1 minute before going over with dry
brush. It was then left 15 minutes before the second coat, and dry-brushed
after another minute. After another 20 minutes, I gave it a blast with the
hair dryer and printed.

Maybe, then, you need to find the coating regime that's right for your
paper; Arches Aquarelle needs to be treated differently, I think. It's also
interesting that letting the sensitiser soak in longer has produced a longer
scale and a slightly warmer image colour.
D-max on the old batch of Platine is significantly lower than on the new,
and the scale a couple of steps shorter, suggesting that there are paper
differences, but maybe coating/drying variations could account for these to
some extent.

Liam