Re: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB

From: Mnt Mike (mnt_mike@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/16/02-10:24:25 PM Z

Hi Bill,
Most of my interest are focused on daguerreotypes now but in the early 80's
John Coffer landed at Living History Farms in Des Moines Iowa for a summer
while constructing a wagon ( a 19th century R.V.) to carry him to N.Y. While
at L.H.F he had worked his art and I would watch and try to help. I was only
about 14-15 at the time and as I recall John was just experimenting with
ambrotypes having already mastered the art of wetplate ferrotypes. I believe
I was Johns fist subject to be captured on the glass substrate and soon
after I succeeded in my own endeavors.
    As for your search on the subject of ambrotypes, I would suggest using
the word ( collodion artist )and here are a few links that may help.

http://www.collodion-artist.com/
http://www.cwreenactors.com/collodion/jacoffer/

http://cwreenactors.com/collodion/practitioners.htm

http://www.collodion.org/links.html
http://acadprojwww.wlu.edu/vol4/BlackmerH/public_html/xliberty/photography/

P.S. The book ( The Keepers of The Light ) will prove a valuble asset with
a formula and instuction for making ambrotypes,