Re: SAFER: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 09/18/02-01:57:07 AM Z

Ken,

You are right about the developer, but there were many chemical hazards
associated with the collodion process. The developer will become more
dangerous in use as it picks up silver.

Traditionally, potassium cyanide was used as a fixer for collodion but
sodium thiosulfate can be used in its place, although it is slower and
possibly less effective.

Many negatives were intensified with mercury chloride or with intensifiers
containing lead nitrate. Both are best avoided.

The ether used in the collodion cannot so far as I'm aware be replaced by
anything less hazardous. Nor of course can the alcohol, and the silver
nitrate bath is also essential. Good ventilation and gloves etc can reduce
the risks.

Many photographers were injured and some killed making pyroxiline, but
later most bought either this or ready prepared collodion, greatly
reducing the risk of the process.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com