RE: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB

From: Pamela Buck (pgbuck@msn.com)
Date: 09/18/02-10:47:47 PM Z

Good guess. He did in fact start the workshop out using the Rockland
tintype chemistry. The chemistry failed, however, and because he had
had spotty success with Rockland chemistry previously, he brought a
backup. In the second process, he first sprays the glass with common
acrylic-in-a-can that he gets at Home Depot or some craft store. After
that is completely dry, he pours a coat of Liquid Light at a specific
warm temperature (sorry, I can't find my notes just now) and lets that
completely dry in the dark. Then off to the darkroom to print either
via contact or using an enlarger. He then develops in Dektol, but I'll
need my notes to be more specific. As an aside, he uses black glass so
that the finished Ambrotype wouldn't have to be viewed in front of a
black background.

Judging from the results I saw, this process needs a lot of refinement
but perhaps has potential to make some beautiful images more safely.

Good luck.
Pamela