Winogrand

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 09/19/02-08:48:16 AM Z

You know, though, it was a remark made with a good metaphor. I mean,
jokingly, I've never met a phor I didn't like. But, you're correct, the
monkeys etc., yet, Garry, gosh, I've walked the streets of San Francisco
with him and driven in cars with the guy. Clickety click click click
clickety click and we go two blocks for an ice cream and he'd be loading
another roll of film. So many of those flights of the eye babbling
information to his brain, like "Look @ that" ALL the time. His well used "I
photograph to see what things look like photographed" (or something similar)
is an apt statement in our topsy-tipsy-turvy-curvy world of post-modernized
semi-sanitized stages of life rife with strife. He was somethin else that
guy. I mean, if those Chimpanzees could ultimately type Finnegan's Wake in
one swell foop, Gary mighta been able to invent the world.
  Mind you, I'm not condoning the guy . . my wife had serious problems w/him
. . but, his methodology, perhaps verging on the truly obsessive, pointed
out that if your work hard enough (i.e.: take a quadrillion photographs) a
result will come forth. Kinda like that wolf stalking the couple in "At The
Zoo."
Jack