RE: digital question (flaunt expertise, please...)

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/20/02-01:03:06 AM Z

Judy,

Perhaps because the Stouffer has logarithmic opacity increments (density is
the log of opacity)whereas they're linear in the dig. neg (aren't they?)
Your Stouffer covers a range of 10-1/2 stops but it's under 7 stops on the
dig. neg, which could account for the smaller number of steps.

FWIW, I compared silver and ink densities (grey image printed with colour
inks), finding the closest ink % to match each of the Stouffer steps that
had separated in a VDB print. (Stouffer & dig. neg both printed with same
exposure!) Results were:

Ink % Print density Stouffer step Print density

 10 .26 17 (2.45) .25
 16 .29 16 (2.3) .29
 18 .31 15 (2.15) .31
 22 .40 14 (2) .42
 30 .58 13 (1.85) .54
 34 .68 12 (1.7) .67
 38 .79 11 (1.55) .80
 42 .90 10 (1.4) .91
 46 1.06 9 (1.25) 1.04
 50 1.19 8 (1.1) 1.19
 56 1.29 7 (.95) 1.30
 72 1.36 6 (.8) 1.36
 96 1.41 5 (.65) 1.41
100 1.45 4 (.5) 1.44

Stouffer steps 1, 2 & 3 were all joined together. If there's no clear
correlation between ink and silver densities, maybe it's that ink and silver
produce different characteristic curves. If you're wondering why I'm still
not in bed at 08.00, it's the toothache.

Liam

riginal Message-----