Re: Ethical issues - hit "delete" key if they bother you

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/21/02-08:54:59 AM Z

OH, Marco...
     Your comments are so nicely written, below, and I appreciate your
opinion.
     I have to add my own experience here. I was doing a nude project for
one of my final senior theses a few years back, and I made the offhand
comment when going thru the contact sheets with the three faculty that even
tho I had gotten *signed model releases* from all my subjects, that if at a
later date any of them asked me not to use his/her images, I would not
display them. I did not tell the models that specifically, but that is my
personal "code of ethics". (let me explain this further that I think this
was said in relation to the one guy who had a bit of a woody in an image.
The image was really hilarious in the juxtaposition of his expression and
his woody, but I took the pic over to his house and showed it to him and
asked if he would be bothered if I used it in my project. His comment:
"Oh, no; that happens all the time..." But I felt much better).
     Well, that offhand comment started a war between 2 of the faculty who
began shouting at each other. One said, "You give your models far too much
power" and the other condemed this teacher, saying, "THIS is EXACTLY what is
wrong with photography today, who do you think you are, God", etc. etc. etc.
It was quite ugly. In fact, it was a major rift in the department.
     But my bottom line is I cannot feel good about myself if I exploit
another person against their wishes. If they do not verbalize their wishes,
then so be it. I cannot second guess. The problem is, of course, that
let's say one of those images made me millions (like I shot Marilyn Monroe
with cellulite); would I truly be able to stand by my code of ethics when
she comes to me and says she doesn't want her (normal, female) tushy
displayed like that? (from the dead, I presume). I hope that I would,
because character, and the fact that I have no choice but to exist inside my
body and live with myself, you know?, is more important to me. But more
hopefully, I won't ever have to be faced with that decision on such a large
scale. The old biblical adage I love is, God, don't make me so rich that I
forget you and so poor that I steal and profane your name.
     Wow, I've talked about, in one email, religion, sex, money, and power.
I'll get down now off my Polyanna soapbox.
Chris