Re: A dumb question on Digital Negatives...

From: Gary Nored (gnored@centurytel.net)
Date: 09/25/02-06:21:27 PM Z

On 21 Sep 2002, at 22:27, Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> This may be a dumb question, but I would be interested in
> knowing if people are applying the adjustment curve to their
> Photoshop file before they invert the image to a negative or
> after they invert the image to a negative. Especially
> interested in Dan's response.

I believe Dan offers curves to apply to the positive form of
the image. This is the only part of his workflow that
strikes me as uncomfortable. Once an alt-process curve
has been loaded onto an image, it looks like nothing
you've ever seen before, and I find it difficult to predict
what will happen when I adjust the curve in some way.

I like to apply the curves to the *negative* form of the
image. Once I have the positive form of the image working
well (and printing well on my inkjet) I just make a merged
copy of the results, paste it onto a new layer and invert
the layer to create the negative. I then apply a correction
curve to the *negative* . This approach keeps the positive
image looking 'normal' and easy to work with. If I decide
to make more changes, I just re-copy (merged) the
changed result to the 'negative' layer and I'm ready to
print again.

I didn't give up much convenience taking this route since
Dan's book doesn't come with Van Dyke Brown curves,
so I was going to have to make my own anyway ... If I
was doing Platinum, I would have stuck with the way it's
done in the book.

Gary Nored