Re: cotton gloves for film handling

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 09/28/02-05:59:34 PM Z

You said in your message...

>Having been testing film substrates for digital negatives (pictorico, et
>al) and finding them extremely subject to damage, I've been thinking, uh
>oh -- where did I leave those cotton gloves? Any comments about that?
>(Not about where the gloves are, unless you get a special message, but
>about handling that transparency film.)

The gelatin coating on Pictorico OHP (and most other transparency films
in all likelihood) is softer and therefore more fragile than the hardened
gelatin on a wet-process film negative.

Printing with a 0.002" mylar sheet between the neg and the printing paper
will help eliminate damage from the rough paper surface or humidity in
the paper. The .002 is thick enough to handle easily (the .001 is very
flimsy) without being so thick as to visibly soften the image by
separating the neg too far from the paper. I get .002 mylar in rolls at
our local Hobby Lobby craft store. Very inexpensive.

I also store the inkjet negs in Light Impressions paper envelopes and
have had no problem with many trips to and from the vacuum frame.

Hope this helps!

Dan