Re: "dry resin" printer ?

From: Gary Nored (gnored@centurytel.net)
Date: 09/29/02-12:20:45 PM Z

On 27 Sep 2002, at 19:53, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Dan Burkholder's chapter on desktop negatives mentions
> various desktop printers, including "new dry resin models...
> just hitting the streets."
>

> Should I recognize this term? Is it known by another
> name...?

Dan is referring to the ill-fated Alps line of printers. They
gave up on 'em -- horrible banding problems, reliability
issues, etc. They used a thermal process whereby dry
inks on ribbons were melted onto the receiving paper.
Some they called "resin," others "dye transfer" or "photo
quality." When it worked the technology was awesome --
good enough for printing 3D postcards which are viewed
under magnification -- but it was expensive, fussy, and
failure prone. Sigh... I really hated throwing that one away!

Gary Nored