Combotypes

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/01/03-08:58:40 AM Z

     In working out the kinks in this teaching manual for alt process, I
have a page on "combotypes". So far I have seen these combotypes and here
are notes I have:

Gum and cyanotype
Gum and platinum
Gum and Van Dyke: since gum contains a silver bleach (dichromate) some say
it will bleach any image made from silver, such as VDB, kallitype, salt.
BW prints with gum on top
Cyanotype and VDB: Over expose the cyanotype (the Van Dyke bleaches the
print)
Cyanotype over the silver based processes, e.g. salt or kallitype, will
bleach those processes because of the potassium ferricyanide in the formula.
Do the cyano first if in combo with brown, casein, or gum, because it will
alter or obscure the image underneath because pot ferri is a bleach. Fixer
used with the brown print can slightly bleach the cyano, too.
Cyanotype and platinum/palladium: If you are going to print cyanotype and
platinum, do cyanotype last because the platinum developer will bleach the
cyanotype.

     My question is this: I have only tried gum over cyano, and did not
find that bleaching occurred as people say. I wonder how much bleaching is
a problem with any combotype?
     Has anyone tried gum over argyrotype?
     Does VDB really bleach cyano?
     Does cyano really bleach salt or kalli?
     Anyone have any wild and crazy combotypes?
     Anyone try to mordancage an alt process silver based print? (guess
that'd be me)
     Just wondering who has done what combotypes in general that work so
when I start to test these processes I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I
did love gum over cyano. I do love gum over pt/pd.
Chris