re: another Cyanotype Question

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 04/05/03-11:59:33 PM Z

Hi:

looked at the images on the site. I think they are done using Ware's
cyanotype II - its looks different than traditional cyanotype

I use traditional cyanotype - a friend of mine uses cyanotype II.

I was able to get traditional cyanotype looking more like cyanotype II
(the color of blue) by developing it in a very dilute vinegar solution (1
part vinegar 5 parts water) - I think I also used dilute citric acid -
sorry but I don't remember the concentration.

Both of these tend to lower the contrast of the print though. But I use
ortho film - so thats not usually a problem.

Also - has anyone mentioned that cyanotype results can be very dependent
on the paper used? I prefer Stonehenge White of all the papers available
locally. I haven't done cyanotype on BFK so I don't know how they
compare.

If you have access to other papers try them - but be sure they are not
buffered. Cyanotype doesn't like buffered paper.

Gord

Two things to try -

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Rauch, Shelley wrote:

> Now that's a bevy of answers!!
>
> I've printed these out and am keeping all close at hand tomorrow.
>
> As a note- I'm not sure what chemicals I am actually using- I intend to check upon this next week.
>
> I'll let you know how it turns out. Keep yer fingers crossed.
>
> And thanks very much, everyone.
>
> Shelley C. Rauch
> Acquisitions Dept.
> (757)890-5116
> Tabb-York County Public Library
> 100 Long Green Blvd.
> Yorktown, VA 23693-4138

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2