Re: Film Speed and Negative Development

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04/09/03-05:14:07 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liam Lawless" <liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 7:30 PM
Subject: RE: Film Speed and Negative Development

> Hi Scott,
>
> Well, I'm not familiar with this film and Richard says
it's definitely
> Ilford, but maybe Ilford don't make budget film to quite
the same spec as
> their regular films? The way to find out would be to
develop Arista and
> Ilford together in the same tank. I think duff film is
very unlikely if
> it's within its use-by date and has not been greatly
abused in storage.

> There are some questions and answers at

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000EYy,
where users
> seem to find the Arista films slower than their putative
Ilford equivalents.
> One thinks that Arista 125 is actually Pan F, which would
agree with your
> results.

  Both Ilford and Agfa sell a great deal of film on a custom
basis. Its standard run film but the company does not have
to distribute it or promote it so can reduce the prices. The
issue of QC has come up before. As far as I know the custom
brand film is identical to the name brand stuff. It would be
much more expensive to produce a special film for custom
branding and selling defective film would very quickly
destroy the market.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA