Re: Gum on copper

From: Jack Brubaker (jack@jackbrubaker.com)
Date: 04/10/03-01:40:52 PM Z

Mario,

It all depends on what your goal is. If you wnat to print on polished copper
you are limmited (in my experience with other metals) to a black-white (no
greys). With a dense lith neg this should be easy. Just get the copper very
clean, no grease or finger prints. I think I used a copper polish, washed
the plate and without drying flood with alcohol. Wipe off the alcohol and
let it evaporate dry. Apply the gum solution and brush it thin and continue
brushing with a dry soft brush until it looses its gloss. Expose as long as
you can without fogging the areas protected by the neg. It can be developed
face up with occational agitation or face down if you rig a way to keep it
off the bottom of the tray, Etchers used to use wads of soft wax stuck to
the corners to etch their plates upsidedown.

If you want tones it is easier with a deeply textured surface. Sanding,
Grinding and sandblasting are all posible. On smoother surfaces tones can be
built up through many layers each printing with different exposures and
different amounts of color to print various tonal ranges.

Good luck

Jack