ThanksSandy King—AltChicago

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 04/13/03-02:37:42 PM Z

I want too thank Sandy King (and his wife Jerry) for taking the time during
his visit to Chicago to meet with some of the folks from the area and show
his beautiful Carbon prints and Kallitypes. Sandy also presented us with a
lot of great information the carbon process and showed some beautiful full
color carbons from his collection.

We started the day with a tour of the photography exhibit at the Art
Institute (Theme of Human Figure and prints from their permanent collection)
and then continued the tour with stops at Schneider, Edelman (great exhibit
of work by Michael Kenna), and Stephen Daiter Galleries (Great exhibit of
work by Stephen Shapiro and we got them to dig out some nice Palladium
prints).

I would also like to thank Michele and Jim Holevar for being such gracious
hosts. After the gallery tour we were invited to their beautiful home and
had the added treat of meeting "The Beast", their delightful, miniaturised
Alt-Poodle.

Sandy made his presentation while we sipped wine and nibbled cheese.
Michele showed her diverse work including Gum, Bromoil, Cyanotypes and
Kallitypes. She had some wonderful work on cloth and Japanese papers. Her
pieces portraying the idealized woman brought a great chuckle from the crowd.

Keith Gerling showed some beautiful gums on a variety of interesting
substrates. He really "raised the roof" with one particular group on the
most unusual of substrates. Keith also spoke briefly on the topic of
reducing negative density with a belt sander. I kid Keith a lot because he
has such a wonderful sense of playfulness and experimentation with his work—
at the same time I really admire his risk taking.

I showed a couple of prints by Sam Wang (thanks Sam, you were there in
spirit!) a new photogravure from the Lenswork collection, a new book of
figurative work by my friend Jerry Johnson, and some off my own digital
images (I tried to convince Sandy that they were quadruple carbon transfers,
but he wouldn't believe me).

We also had a great time seeing Jim Holevar's wonderful steel sculptures and
his workshop. Boy talk about some heavy duty tools! I could just see
Keith's mind cranking over possible uses of those tools with Alt-Photo
heheheheh

Thanks to all!

We hope to do this again some time! If you are in the Chicago area, let us
know who you are and we will be more than happy to include you!

Mark Nelson