Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/14/03-04:18:33 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> So far, for instance, in testing raw sienna
> against gamboge, similar colors (gamboge is yellower and more brilliant and
> more transparent) I would choose raw sienna because it clears very well.

Here's another case that shows why it works better to specify pigments
rather than paint names. Gamboge (NY 24) is a fugitive pigment that is
used, as far as I know, only by Winsor & Newton, in their Gamboge
Genuine, which they give the same B (moderately durable) rating that
they give to alizarin crimson (PR 83) in spite of the very poor
lightfastness ratings given to both of these pigments by more
responsible raters. So, either you're using W&N's Gamboge genuine, or
you're using something called gamboge that's not actually gamboge. Some
of the pigments used in paints called "gamboge" are PY 108, PY 3, PY
153, PY 150, PY 97, PY 161, or mixtures thereof, (and BTW many of the
paints using these pigments, especially PY 150 and 153, are called
Indian yellow rather than gamboge). I use a paint that's called
"gamboge" that's a mixture of PY 151 and PO 62. I use both this
"gamboge" and raw sienna; to me they are two different things, not
interchangeable. Both clear well in my shop but my "gamboge" like yours
is yellower and more transparent than raw sienna, which is an earth
color and more opaque as are most of the earth colors; I use them for
different purposes.

BTW, some folks have taken issue with me for making such a deal of color
permanence; they say color permanence is not a value for them, so I
should quit harping on it. People can make their own decisions of course
about how important color permanence is for them. Color permanence is
very important to me; one of the many reasons gum is my medium of choice
is the ability to make color photographs with lasting color. My
comments about the permanence of different pigments aren't intended to
scold people who prefer to use fugitive pigments, but to instruct those
who would prefer not to use fugitive pigments but don't realize that
some of the pigments offered by so-called reputable manufacturers and
given favorable-sounding ratings are actually fugitive.
kt