Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Jack Brubaker (jack@jackbrubaker.com)
Date: 04/15/03-10:55:43 AM Z

Dave,

I believe you are doing a good job of mixing the gum and pigment and that it
prints well but I doubt that you are really seperating each grain of
pigment. I was taught to make my own etching inks by grinding pigment into
oil. It took nearly an hour of serious physical work with a muller to get
all the pigment wetted with the oil. The machines that grind paints and inks
run the mix between steel rollers that are turning in opposite direction.
An opperater feeds the mix back through the machine sereral times over the
course of one to three hours for the finest product. I know we don't need
that quality. But mixing as we do we achieve a solution that is between
having the large clumps that scratch the size and cause print problems and
the fine grind of tube colors. I still think that the refined small clumps
of pigment of aggressively mixed gum-pig are contributing to the good print
quality many report with using powdered pigment. The small pigment clumps
are less likely to get into the fiber and not wash out than the finely
ground tube color.