Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/16/03-02:00:50 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Dave Rose wrote:
> >
> > There's a big difference between ivory and lamp black. Ivory black is
> > weaker, more transparent, and slightly warmer.
>
> And the physical quality of the pigments is different. Lamp black is
> laid down in tiny filaments; when printed quite dilute it makes a lovely
> soft textured grey which I have used to effect, for example, as a
> background for still life.

P.S. The original ivory black doesn't exist any more of course, given
prohibitions against trafficking in tusks, but I wish that I could have
experienced it, as it was said to give a lovely rich velvety black that
can't be replicated with any other material. Bone black was a cheap
substitute, an inferior product pawned off on those who couldn't tell
the difference. Now, the pigment made by burning animal bones has been
given the more prestigious name "ivory black" by many sources, although
a couple of my favorite sources insist on keeping the name "bone black"
for this pigment (PBk9). My bit of pigment trivia for the day. (Well,
okay, my second bit).
kt