Re: update on powdered gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/19/03-12:35:24 AM Z

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> ... But even with 12 tsp of carbon black, a very oily, sooty,
> powder pigment, I got clear whites on unsized Rives BFK. Unshrunk, too. 12
> min UV BL exposure.

Actually, if that was "virgin" BFK, that is never shrunk, or put in water,
it prints best of all... because it's still got whatever surface sizing
from manufacturer, and nap of the paper not raised by wetting. Once it's
been shrunk, and/or given some other water bath, nap of the paper is
raised, much likelier to stain. Which is why generally speaking you have
to size paper for multicoating, because you need to preshrink, which does
as noted.

J.

 Thick black, "Ed-Buffaloe-looking" :) coat that showed