Re: preservatives for gum and gum dilutions

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/23/03-07:30:46 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> In watching Livick's cdRom I notice that his layer of sensitizer is
> quite poster paintish, thick, and opaque. He also says that if you cannot
> get a fully tonal gum in 2 coats, you aren't mixing enough pigment into your
> gum. Students love to hear that :) I have been doing mostly that lately,
> but was wondering if most of you gum printers out there use whisper thin
> layers that approximate water color washes moreso than the thicker layers
> that cover the paper underneath.

Actually, I've made such a mess of saying what I mean, that I'm going to
start over, and apologize for earlier false starts. First, I'll say that
I doubt if there's anything that "most" gum printers do.

I agree with Livick that more often that not, two coats of a properly
pigmented mix will produce a full tonal scale, but that's true whether
the pigment is opaque or transparent. A transparent pigment may not
cover the paper, even though it is fully pigmented and prints to a good
density. An opaque pigment may cover the paper with a very small amount
of pigment. In other words, opacity, (covering power) is a separate
issue from the pigment load. The thickness or thinness of the coating is
a third issue. Hope that's more clear.
kt