Re: long lost email

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 04/23/03-05:57:58 PM Z

Hi Katharine,

I realized (in mild horror) I had a reply (I began to you but never
finished) stuck in my email program. It was only a short reply to
promise to get back with you after the semester's end... that's now,
so...

My experience was pretty positive at Photo Americas, despite the poor
showing of reviewers in the shortly after 9/11 era. I met some people
who were helpful and articulate about what they thought my work was
accomplishing. I made several new friends, got to see great work, had
several fabulous talks with new and old friends and made a few good
connections which are starting to pay off. It was not however a
financial success. I did end up with the online Photo Eye Showcase
gallery, but since it is fee-for-space even after "jurying" I don't
have a completely positive commercial response. That wasn't a primary
goal.

A friend who was also there and has a color documentary series on the
environment sold a ton of prints and is well on his way to getting a
publishing contract. So, I had THAT to compare my experience with and I
am a bit jealous. Though, I must say, it doesn't escape me that my work
is quite different from anybody's I ever see. So, it's a mixed review.
I'd do it again, or more likely Foto Fest in Houston, which would be
cheaper for me.

I did come away with some feedback (and no matter how egotistical it
sounds) -- the concept had actually never occurred to me. "You might be
ahead of your time (with my ease with digital montages)." A smart young
gallery person from Seattle delivered that bit of wisdom and I was
somewhat speechless. Hey, I just wanted somebody to respond to the
work. I really don't know what to think about the possibility... of my
work being more acceptable after I'm old and feeble or dead. Sheesh,
talk about a left-handed compliment.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Darryl