good article IMO

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/25/03-11:54:21 AM Z

Not to start a whole "what is art" debate, but I found this article a nice
read:

"Seeking a Cure for Art Anxiety"
By DEBORAH SOLOMON

www.nytimes.com/2003/04/23/arts/artsspecial/23SOLO.html

Here is an excerpt:

"The democratization of the American art museum has in some ways increased
the visual insecurity of viewers. You're standing there judging the work,
but instead it feels like the work is judging you. If you're stumped, you
are less likely to blame the artist than yourself. You may even assume you
are an indolent person who has failed to make the requisite intellectual
effort, which in turn can unleash a chain of negative thoughts about
straying from your diet, neglecting to send a sympathy card and other
unforgivable failures of will."

...and what she writes here is what I feel (and hope) is totally starting to
happen in contemporary art:

"In other words, young artists are relying on an old-fashioned strategy to
make their work new again. They are restoring narrative detail to art.
Modern art was difficult because it lacked plot, but postmodern art is
difficult because it possesses a surfeit of plot."