Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/26/03-09:29:37 AM Z

> Jumping Jupiter!!! You would classify all of the iron oxalate
> processes together? Including Pt/Pd?
>
> And if so, what must the Pt/Pd devotees think of lumping together
> the lowly kallitype with the elegant, precious and highly exalted
> Pt/Pd? Hard to imagine the consternation that your remarks must have
> caused among those folks.
>
> Sandy King

Why, Sandy? Peter says the unifying point is the use of ferric sensitizer.
That makes sense to me. And of course a toned kallitype can be
indistinguishable from a straight Pt/Pd print. Really, the reason I use
Pt/Pd instead of switching to kallitype is that it's so much easier. Because
of the elaborate processing, producing kallitypes takes about three times as
long as making the same number of platinums. It saves a couple bucks per
print compared to platinum, but so what when the cost of a platinum print is
less than the boards you mat it in? When I've tried kalli, not only did the
prints take longer to make but the failure rate was higher, making the
effective time investment enormous. Even for the self-unemployed like me,
time is worth something.

---Carl......making alt prints the quick and easy way: in platinum