Re: Black Spots

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/14/03-02:53:25 PM Z

Ray,

Have you bought a new batch of paper? I find paper is the most common
culprit. A new batch of a formerly reliable paper can hand you nightmares.

If you have not bought a new paper batch recently, it will be harder to find
the problem. If the spots are very black, small, and dense, it could help to
filter your FO and metal solutions. If you cut your paper with metal tools,
that could be spreading metal particles that cause spots.

For etching, technique depends on the paper. With a hard surfaced paper it's
best to "scrape" lightly with a tool like an Xacto knife. On softer papers
(like Platine) it's better to use a very light cutting or slicing stroke
through the spot, then brush the loosened fibers away.

You'll hear lots of other possiblities, I'm sure.

---Carl

--
            Web site with picture galleries
            and workshop information