Re: thoughts about staining in gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 08/16/03-07:11:35 AM Z

From: "Darryl Baird" <dbaird@umflint.edu>
> How's the South look after Montana/Minnesota, kinda weird, huh? Found
> any kudzu growing on or about your domicile yet?

The kudzu looks like a Sleeping Beauty story, the world asleep for 100
years. We're in awe of it, and I'm trying to figure out how to get a bunch
of nude people to want to trek into the kudzu forest for a shoot--maybe
right along the freeway won't be so bad :).

Lest I stray too far OT, let me tell you that the house we are in here is
adorable, weeny, but WHITE carpet throughout, and I've set up my gum
printing room in a spare bedroom, praying I will not get bright yellow
dichromate stains on the carpet. OH, tho, of course, they'll turn dark
brown with dark reaction...

And speaking of dark reaction, I actually (I know I'm nuts, this is why I
will have to check out Cornwall and Evanovich) took two separate samples of
dichromate/gum/no pigment and left one in the dark and one in the sun and
over a period of days photographed them and compared dark reaction to
continuing action to see if, in fact, insolubility arrives at the same place
over time whether gum is exposed or not. With a digicam of course, so I
wasn't wasting film. I did this because one old book used such a wonderful
description of the keeping quality of a sensitized solution, saying that you
needed to use it up right away or in time it would become a "mass of
quivering calves foot jelly". Yes, in fact, it does. It first goes into
molasses syrup and then turns into hard jello. The sun exposed one hardened
more quickly and turned darker brown.

> Glad to hear you've survived the trek. Might I recommend Patricia
> Cornwell (forensic mysteries, wife's favorite) or Janet Evanovich
> (sister's fav... lighthearted).
> Darryl

<Mark Nelson said> If the books fail, drive up to Highlands and go to
Kilwin's Home Made Candy Store.

Yum, that'll beat the Good n' Plenty's I munched on last night in front of
Usual Suspects.

Chris

> Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
>
> >Good evening, list!
> >
> > I have been in the throes of moving and setting up internet services
in
> >a new place and trying to get all connected, and struggling with a laptop
> >with a too small keyboard. Microsoft wireless keyboard came to the
> >rescue--ergonomic, no less. However, I continued through all this to
> >ruminate on gum printing (I should really give this up and start reading
> >romance novels).
> >
> > This is in response to Dave Rose's interest, about a month ago, in
> >hearing my thoughts/research on gum staining. As I was driving cross
> >country, I outlined the issue of gum staining in my mind, including all I
> >have read and experienced, and thought I could share this outline with
the
> >list in a way that seems logical to me. I'll try to reproduce the
outline,
> >below (but it probably will get all off kilter when it goes thru the
> >internet) and would love comments/addtions, as I usually miss the obvious
> >(duh).
> >
> > Also, Judy, I can't believe I overlooked in my notes this bit of
> >research: in the BJP of April 1908, it was a Mr. C. Wille who demoed gum
and
> >did the pigment/gum titration stain test, using 1-7 pts gum, so unless
> >Anderson's stain test is before this date, Mr. C. Wille is the culprit
> >behind the fetishistic stain test, that b*&()!!!.
> >
> > In my mind, the problem is, in the large picture, degraded
highlights
> >or whites of the paper. So it looks to me to be something like this:
> >
> >I. Degraded Highlights
> > A. Insolubilization of the gum/pigment on the paper
> > 1. Insolubilization due to light exposure
> > a. Fogging or accidental non-image exposure
> > b. Overexposure
> > 2. Insolubilization due to other than light exposure
> > a. Acidity of gum solution--either sour or by adding
acids