Re: scratch on BW film

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 08/16/03-07:08:50 PM Z

Moulay,

> Hello,
>
> I have an old 35 mm BW negatif( 5 shots) this negatif has suffered
> since 1977, and has cratch on both sides. I tried to use the ICE
> system with my Minolta scan Multi Pro, presentig the BW neg as a
> color one, didn't help. It's just impossible to cure that with
> photoshop, I gave up after several hours. In the old time I tried to
> use some varnish with a slide but I was disappointed with the result.
> Does anyone know a better solution for me to recover this negatif

Trying to remove scrathes on a B&W emulsion with ICE will not work no matter
what you tell the scanner software. If the negative is as important as it
seems from your message I would recommend getting a high res drum scan made
and then digitally retouching the problem areas. This should be pretty easy
to do with the Photoshop 7 healing tool. After the digital file has been
retouched you could then have an image setter negative made.

Or you may wish to pay someone to do the digital retouching for you.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant