RE: Salted Prints

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 08/20/03-05:29:57 AM Z

Hi Peter, thanks for the answer.

  So citric acid is only necessary to preserve sensitized paper, not the
solution itself? What I'm trying to figure out is: if I decide to make
say... 500ml of silver nitrate sensitizer solution will it keep
indefinitely? or should I definitely add citric acid to the solution if
I want to keep it for long time? - finishing 500ml sensitizer will take
SOME time ;)

> The important thing to avoid muddy, flat prints is to get
> your negatives
> to the correct contrast. I've not used Canson papers. All

  I will try three types of negatives:

  1. 4x5 HP5 negatives (from a pinhole camera) exposed E.I. 250 ~ 320
and overdeveloped by 30% (according to E.I. 400 times, in ID11) - do you
think this will yield the desired contrast range?
  2. Enlarged negatives on lith film (using Liam Lawless' method as
described by Ed Buffaloe) - some testing and voila!?
  3. Enlarged negatives on inkjet transparency media.

  According to you, which method is easier to obtain a negative with a
wide contrast range (~ 2 - 2.4)? Any other recommendations?

> Salting is best done by immersion of course, making sure to avoid air

  I was planning to immerse the paper in the salting solution... It
seems easier than brushing.

> bubbles. If you brush coat the silver, be reasonably generous
> with the
> solution. It does avoid any problems with the changing

  Will use puddle pusher/coating rod to coat the paper... Any possible
problems with it?

> concentration of
> the bath used for floating, so I'd recommend it.
>
> > 3. What do you think of salted prints toned in selenium?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Loris.
>
> I think that it is best to tone using gold toner.

  I see... but obtaining gold toner is hard in my area (also the toner
is pricey and If I remember right there's some sort of fussy
replanishment procedure which I found difficult). I like the untoned
color of salt prints - warmer is better for me. Will selenium toning
preserve the print without bizzarely altering its hue?

Thanks again,
Loris.